Dr. Feiyue Wang is a professor in the department of environment and geography at the University of Manitoba. He is interested in the biogeochemical processes of trace elements across air-ice-water interfaces, water-sediment interfaces, and the water-biota interface. He works at the molecular scale and at regional and global scales to address “real-world” environmental problems.
Dr. Wang is involved in a partnership with Sapotaweyak Cree Nation that involves teaching high school students to test water quality in their community.
Current research projects include:
- Trace metal speciation and bioavailability in aquatic systems
- Metallomics of toxic elements across bio-interfaces.
- Long-range transport and biogeochemistry of mercury and other contaminants in the Arctic Ocean
- Biogeochemistry of mercury and other contaminants in Himalaya and Tibetan Plateau regions
- Cryospheric chemistry of trace elements
- Ultra-trace analytical techniques for chemical speciation (HPLC-ICP/ESI-MS)
Recent publications include
- Hare A., Stern G., Macdonald R.M., Kuzyk Z.Z., Wang F. 2008. Contemporary and preindustrial mass budgets of mercury in the Hudson Bay marine system: The role of sediment recycling. Sci. Total Environ. (in press).
- Wang F., Chen J. 2008. Chapter 46. Rivers in Eastern Asia. In: Encyclopedia of Inland Waters. Elsevier (in press).
- Carrie J., Sanei H., Goodarzi F., Stern G., and Wang F. 2008. Characterization of organic matter in surface sediments of the Mackenzie River Basin, Canada. Int. J. Coal Geol. (in press).
- Zhang Q., Kang S., Wang F., Li C., Xu Y. 2008. Major ion geochemistry of Nam Co Lake and its sources, Tibetan Plateau. Aquat. Geochem. DOI 10.1007/s10498-008-9039-y.
- Outridge P.M., Macdonald R.W., Wang F., Stern G.A., and Dastoor A.P. 2008. A mass balance inventory of mercury in the Arctic Ocean. Environ. Chem. 5, 89-111.
- Loewen M., Wania F., Wang F., and Tomy G. 2008. Altitudinal transect of atmospheric and aqueous fluorinated organic compounds in western Canada. Environ. Sci. Technol. 42, 2374-2379.
- Loewen M., Kang S., Armstrong D., Zhang Q., Tomy G., and Wang F. 2007. Atmospheric transport of mercury to the Tibetan Plateau. Environ. Sci. Technol. 41, 7632-7638.