85 Israel Asper Way
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0L5
Global Affairs Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, is pleased to be hosting a half-day conference on March 20th on Human Rights and Corruption in the Americas.
The conference will bring together key international and domestic human rights practitioners, defenders and scholars from across the Americas. Over three panel sessions, speakers will address the issues of Women’s Rights and Leadership, Indigenous Governance and Rights, and Human Rights and Corruption.
In addition to reflecting on the state of human rights in the Americas and discussing what Canada is doing to address the promotion and protection of human rights in the region, we will also be featuring recipients of Global Affairs’ newly launched “Canada in the Americas – Human Rights Leader Award.” Awardees from Peru, Guatemala, Haiti and Ecuador will be on hand to share their experiences and challenges in defending human rights in their countries.
The policy-probing conference will come just before the VIII Summit of the Americas, which is taking place in Lima, Peru on April 13-14, under the theme of “Democratic Governance against Corruption”.
Date: March 20, 2018
Time: 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Location: Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Bonnie & John Buhler Hall, 85 Israel Asper Way
The free, half-day conference will feature:
- Matt DeCourcey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Alicia Lopez, Executive Director of Asociación Política de Mujeres Mayas Moloj (MOLOJ) in Guatemala
- Juana Carol Francis Bone, Director, Women of Asphalt, Ecuador
- Dr. Santiago Cantón, Secretary for Human Rights, Province of Buenos Aires
- Daniel Quintero, Former Colombian Vice Minister of Technology, Information and Communication
- Susana Chavez, Director General, Centro de Promoción y Defensa de los Derechos Sexuales y Reproductivos from Peru
- Danièle Magloire, Activist and Sociologist from Haïti
- Dr. John F. Young, President and Chief Executive Officer of the CMHR
Simultaneous translation will be provided in the following languages: English to French, French to English, English to Spanish and Spanish to English.